Week 2

This weeks class kicked off with a discussion on blogs we had researched and it led into the tone your blog can create. Some examples of peoples blogs we looked at were Dolce Merda, she comes across as a very friendly  person while Chris Brogan used his blog to advance his marketing career so the tone was relaxed and chatty. We also looked up ways to improve your own personal blog so that people will want to read it.

During class we had two surprise visitors come in, neither of them were part of the class but surprisingly contributed in a positive way. They initially started clapping constantly, nearly making me cry with laughter but after asking them about themselves one of the men said he was from America and has been on SL for over 10 years, he made a point about how there are a lot of toxic people on SL. I haven't personally met anyone like that yet but I can see where he is coming from because people find it easy to hide behind screens when saying rude things since there is rarely a consequence.
The two lads eventually left and we moved on to talk about ourselves in an Elevator pitch, the idea is you only have 30 seconds to promote yourself to a business. This was useful as it got everyone talking and broke the air or nervousness, I am very use to talking online but I know others struggle with that, especially when you have to talk about yourself.

Once class was finished we were put into groups and given our task for the week which was to meet and document the conversation with at least to people in SL. So I logged onto SL and before the background even had a chance to load I was spoken to by two people.

The first one was very enthusiastic and declared his love for me after asking how I was, maybe he is my Romeo who knows? I didn't know how to respond because after all it had only been 4 minutes since we first started talking. Soon after we met I told him I was leaving to explore, I needed more in life than just floating red hearts, he was devastated and hastily declared that we should go for dinner.



He wanted a date, not just any date a romantic date. I asked further questions about the location but didn't get a helpful response, it just had to be romantic. Even though I wasn't interested I figured it would be fun, he invited me to an amazing place where we began eating dinner.














The area was very romantic as he had said, I ate my spaghetti while he continued to declare his never ending love for me.
After a while I got bored, I was going to leave for good this time but as soon as I got up something crazy happened.


He proposed ! I was shocked and mentioned how it had only been 16 minutes since we first lay eyes on each other. It didn't matter to him, but I couldn't do it. I refused his request and told him I was leaving for good this time, I was unable to be his Juliet.

The next person I spoke with wasn't as fun, the conversation started out great with the usual 'Hello, how are you?', but after a short span of time he quickly decided he no longer wanted to speak to me even though he started the conversation. I dont know how to feel about this interaction but it was still funny.
I took no offence I was just confused, especially after his last message.





This whole experience got me thinking about how easy it is to meet new people and form relationships with them The fact that proposing to someone is an option means that some people must use it and whether that is for a joke or the real purpose is interesting. It also shows again how realistic the game is compared to real life, just like the money issue I spoke about last week.

Thats all for this week!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 5

Week 3

Week 6