Group Meetings and Issues

This post will be dedicated to talking about my group and our project, in the last week before it was all due :)

We had planned to hold another meeting on the 4/10 at 6:30pm, it was going to be held using the 'Go to meeting' app, like we had done before. But my work scheduled had changed that night so I had asked if we could change it to 5pm instead, everyone said they would try their best to make it, which was great since it had been a last minute change. I was given the invite for the meeting at around 5:10pm but nobody ended up joining, I waited until 5:30pm and I had no choice to stay any longer so I left the meeting. I was a little frustrated, I know that it was me who needed the time changed but I would have preferred if my group members had of said they knew they weren't going to make it realistically. But again it was my fault so there was no hard feelings. I ended up making a quick Facebook group chat and posted everything I was going to talk about in my few slides for the part of the project I was to do, I was focusing on Point 3, I let them know that if anything was too similar to their work to just let me know and we can change things around etc. Everyone replied and all was fine, Katie (Whatymacallit) once again let us know that she wasn't going to be there to talk for the group presentation but wished us luck :)

That night I went onto the google slideshow document that I had set up for everyone and noticed that only (MMcD96) had added work to it, I thought nothing of it since there was still 2 days until the presentation. I added more to my slides and put what I was going to say inside the footnotes, this was because we didn't want the text to be part of the presentation but I still wanted the group to be able to see what exactly I was talking about so they wouldnt double up on information.
On Tuesday the 5th I checked the slides again and there was still no work added from Katie, I began to panic because we didnt have a lot of time left to make up for this. I messaged Megan and asked her if she could start adding some slides for the final point, number 4, since we were going to work on this as a group. I had some notes made for it but I wasn't able to add them since I ended up doing all of Katie's work. Thankfully Megan said she could do part 4.

On Wednesday the 6th I asked Megan if she wanted to talk later, just to go over our points and plan out everything that was going to be said, she said yes. We started a call on Facebook at around 5/6, instantly I asked her if she knew where Katie's work was, she said she was just about to ask me. The only reason I can think of as to why she never put any work into the presentation is that a few weeks prior, I had said that I would make the presentation and that if everyone wants to send me some pictures, relating to their point, to include (with captions so I knew where to put them) they could. Katie did send me some picture with vague captions and no indication towards where they should go or the order. The week after this (there was about 3 weeks until the presentation) we had another meeting and I said that instead of me making the whole thing, ill just make a google slides document and everyone can work on it together and we can all place our own images in the order we want. Both Megan and Katie agreed to this idea. Another week or so later Katie sent me more pictures with again, vague captions. Her point was to make a timeline (point 1) and the pictures she sent definitely didn't. I didn't think anything of it since we had another meeting after all this in which we confirmed again that google slides is where everything was being made.

So during our call I realized I was going to have to make the slides for point 1, Megan was making point 4's slides and we had both made our own points slides previously. I tried using some of the pictures Katie had sent me but they we very basic in a sense that they weren't hard to find and the captions had been pasted from a website. They didn't relate to her point that much and it definitely wasn't enough work considering what me and Megan had done. We never contacted her about this since she was dealing with family issues and the presentation was due that night so there wasn't much of a point. The fact that she had never said anything about it is what annoyed me and how she never sent any text (that was her own) that even descried her points or what she was going to say for the question. She had also never sent any work relating to point 4 which we had all said we would work on as a group.

After the presentation had been put together Me and Megan went over all of our points and that went great, we made sure each topic was being covered. Overall I found Megan amazing to work with, she was understanding and helped a lot with the presentation, especially having to work on slides that everyone was meant to contribute to.
Maybe there was some miss-communication along the way, that could come with the fact that we only ever met up online. Its something to think about since this whole module is online based and it really showed how difficult it can be to get information across and to make sure everything is understood.

During this time I had also gotten in contact with John because I wanted to put our presentation into SL. I thought it would add visual interest and so we could stand beside each slide and discuss it while the visuals gave people somewhere to look.
I ended up not being able to do this since I ran out of time, had I not have had to make Katie's work I might have been able to do it but who knows.

The next post is going to be on the presentations! Ill give my final thoughts on working in a group in the next post.

The first page of our slideshow



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 5

Week 6