Group project Presentations

We started class and instantly got the group presentations going, some were slideshows, images brought into SL and videos! It was really nice having everyone talk during the class since its usually just John and Glenn. One thing that I found really difficult about presenting within the game was the lack of emotion/peoples reactions and movement. I usually move my hands around when talking or just move in general so it was strange knowing nobody could see that since it matches up with what I am saying. It was also hard not getting to see peoples faces and reactions, that is something that helps me when I am reading out-loud. Even though people are quiet during real life presentations there is still ambient noises such as breathing or shuffling but all of that is removed online making it feel very quiet and isolating, even though there are birds chirping in SL it doesn't account for the fact that everyone's microphone is muted leaving 0 sound completely. So in the end I think speaking in person is easier for me but the benefits of doing it in SL was that fact that I didn't have to look good and could wear my pj's, I also got to look directly at my notes while reading instead of just memorizing it all off. I can still appreciate both mediums and see the benefits of each! Many would see SL as much easier due to nobody seeing you and so it would help a ton for shy people or people who struggle with public speaking.

Video player in class, taken before we started presenting.

The presentations themselves were a bit of s struggle for some since voices weren't working in SL even though the people were re-logging, this led to some groups being down a man while presenting. This is another disadvantage when working with things online, since internet connections can come and go or just be slow, you cant rely on technology to work all the time. Even still the groups all did amazing! Some projects that I really liked were Jakleyuki and mfeeneyo video, many complimented them on their voices and they do have really good voices for presenting work. Their video was also very well put together, it was very engaging and professional.

One of the groups presentation.
 I cant remember who created this presentation apologies, for that but it was displayed along the walls of our classroom, something I had hoped for our presentation. The artwork was great and the idea of bringing it into SL was a smart choice since it was a visual you could look at while they spoke. 









A lot of others ended up making presentations on google slides and sent on the link! I like this idea sine it really takes advantage of the different mediums in the online world. The only problem I had was that it can get a little repetitive and hard to follow along, it also removes you completely from SL. This is how my group project was presented, I was trying to get it to be graphics on the wall in our classroom but that didn't work out so in the end I think it wasn't as strong as it could have been. We got feedback saying it was packed with information and well put together. One other small thing was that some peoples microphones were very quiet which took away from their pieces, its only a small thing but I think its important when the only thing you really have its your voice.

In my final post i'll be going over my group as a whole :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 5

Week 3

Week 6