Final Thoughts on my Group

My overall feelings on working with a group is that its easy once everyone does their work and communicates  continuously. One of our members did communicate very well and even set up platforms for us to talk on but the work they produced wasn't up to a standard we needed for our presentation. After having a look over Sitearm's team operations notes I can see where our group failed in some areas and worked well in others.

For starters we took a while to get in contact initially, which is something Sitearm doesnt reccomend, this was my own fault as much as it is the other members since we were all incredibly busy. MMcD96 was the first to contact me over Facebook and then Whatyamacallit made a post on Facebook asking us if we wanted to meet. I don't think us getting a late start to the project impacted us all that much but if we had more time we could have maybe created a video or used another platform for our final piece. When we met up in SL for the first time, we divided out the work among ourselves and everyone got to pick a part they felt they understood the best, we all decided we would work on the last part together since we didn't quite know what it was asking for initially. This was something in Sitearms notes that is said to produce the best workflow, the only problem was that we hadn't got a team leader which I think can account for the main issue we ended up facing.

The main issue was the lack of work from one of the members, I had said I would be the leader after a few weeks of talking went by. One of the other members insisted she shouldn't be the leader since she was the leader in her group last year, which is understandable but she was a great speaker and always initiated conversation when we spoke so it only felt right that she should be the leader. So when I had to become one it didn't feel right, however now is the best time to try out new things so I took it as a way to learn. I don't think I managed my team the best but I do think the girls were very understanding when it came to workloads, and other responsibilities. We were even going to make our final piece a video but we realized nobody was fully confident in making one and realistically we wouldn't have time. We did meet up a good few times to go over our work which was great and I even got to speak with MMcD96 right before we presented, she asked if I wanted to just do a rehearsal of our slides and that really helped since we were able to make some small edits to what we were saying.

For our in game presentation we were down a member, but this was fine since we had been given a heads up a good few weeks ago. I wanted to be able to present our work in SL in the form of in game images but I ran out of time and didn't do enough research on what that required which is my own fault. We ended up just linking our google slides document, it went over well in the end and we were told it contained a ton of information. In terms of Sitearms guidelines, which were: Establish a leader, divide out the work, meet regularly and make sure work is being done, set realistic goals etc, we did do a fairly good job operating as a team I think. Hopefully in the future I can improve on all of the issues and challenges this project had and become a better leader.

That's it for the blog, I hope you enjoyed following me along in my journey with second life ! Here is some slides from our presentation :)


Our first slide
Our last slide
One of our middle slides






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 5

Week 3

Week 6