Week 7

This week John's mic was broken so class ended up being exceptionally quiet. It also slowed the class down a ton since we were replying on just typing which also limited what was said since it needed to be all shorthand. Apart from that we were given tips on our blogs, John also got in contact with everyone and gave us all feedback on our first 4 blog posts. Overall my feedback was good but one thing I need to work on is using citations and captions for my images and referencing the reading material that was set for that week. I also seemed to have more blog posts than others but that wasn't a problem, if anything the more posts a week the better :)

During class we also discussed some of the readings that were set, one of which really stood out to me, the Syrian lesbian blogger who was reveled to be a Scottish man. This article is insane and slightly humorous except for when you realize that real lives were put in danger. I do not have much of a problem with people leading second lives and I would have been fine with this man pretending to be someone hes not but only if he hadn't spoken to his community or followers. By interacting with people you end up leading them on, one girl had "believed she was having a relationship with Amina"1 which can end up being so mentally destructive for that girl when the truth came out that she never existed. Even though I feel a lot of some peoples claims were exaggerated I cant blame them since its and incredibly frustrating situation to be put in. To make a claim such a  "I do not believe that I have harmed anyone"1 is just a cop out, he cant admit wrong and refuses to see how painful it can be to have someone you know never exists. He cant see the pain behind it since he was on the opposite side. Even though he brought light to a dark situation in Syria, he did it in such a dangerous way especially for the people who actively sough out this invisible girl. 

On a less serious note another piece that we read was on how your employees might be an online celebrity and what you should do. I'd never really thought of this problem before but it makes sense since so many people are gaining large followings. One thing I'd argue is when it comes to these 'celebrities' requesting a higher wage, I do not agree with it at all since when you start working in a new job you need to accept the fact that they arent responsible for your following and I know people will argue its free advertising but unless the company is forcing you to advertise them then why should you be paid for it. People feel so entitled when they have sheep behind them. But even if companies refused to deal with them they would inevitably get backlash from the persons following so its a double edged knife. Another thing is people posting on social media while working which again I do not agree with since you're there to do that job not build your online profile, do that on your own time. The article also raises a good question "Who owns that blog?"2, when its an employee posting under the company's name. Its a good question and  I'd say the company owns it since it has their name on it, at the end of the day the person posting is just an employee and can easily be replaced.

That is all for this week, Ill have more on my group project in the next blog since we had another meeting :)

Here is another group photo since there were not many other images I could use 


Bibliography
Addely, Asther: "Syrian lesbian blogger is revealed conclusively to be a married man",

2- Alexandra, Samuel: "Your Employee Is an Online Celebrity. Now What Do You Do?"
 https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10000872396390443995604578003082273743230 , Wall street Journal, last accessed 22/11/17. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 5

Week 3

Week 6